Samantha Salas has made her first career semi-final in a Women's Professional Racquetball Organization (WPRO) tour event at the Mexico Open in Tijuana, and second seed Cheryl Gudinas-Holmes did not reach the semis for the first time since the 2007 Canadian Classic, which was the second event of last year's WPRO season. The Mexican Open is the second event of this season.
Salas, seeded 11th, defeated 16th seed Veronica Sotomayor, 7-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-7, in the quarter finals. She'll next player fellow Mexican Paola Longoria in the semi-finals later Saturday ensuring that there will be a Mexican in the Mexican Open final on Sunday.
Longoria was the one who prevented Gudinas-Holmes from reaching the semis by upsetting the 2nd seed 10-12, 11-8, 11-6, 1-11, 11-8. It was Gudinas-Holmes's second 5 game match in a row, as she'd gone the distance with Jackie Paraiso on Friday.
But play on the top half of the draw continues to follow form, as WPRO #1 Rhonda Rajsich will face #4 Angela Grisar in the semi-finals later Saturday.
In their quarter final matches, Rajsich defeated Doreen Fowler, 11-5, 11-1, 11-3, and Grisar outlasted Kristen Bellows, 11-8, 3-11, 11-4, 5-11, 11-8.
Mexico Open - Semi-Finals
(1) Rhonda Rajsich vs. (4) Angela Grisar
(11) Samatha Salas vs. (7) Paola Longoria
(1) Rhonda Rajsich vs. (8) Doreen Fowler, 11-5, 11-1, 11-3
(4) Angela Grisar vs. (5) Kristen Bellows, 11-8, 3-11, 11-4, 5-11, 11-8
(11) Samatha Salas vs. (14) Veronica Sotomayor, 7-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-7
(2) Cheryl Gudinas-Holmes vs. (7) Paola Longoria, 10-12, 11-8, 11-6, 1-11, 11-8
(Note: Scores from Tennis Information website)
Follow the bouncing ball....