Sunday, April 29, 2018

Waselenchuk wins IRT Florida Regional Championships, announces he’ll likely retire

Kane Waselenchuk defeated Rocky Carson, 15-5, 15-4, to win the International Racquetball Tour (IRT) Florida Regional Championships in Sarasota, Florida. However, Carson will end Waselenchuk’s 9 season streak of IRT #1 dominance. That despite the fact Carson didn’t win a tournament this season, which was the first time in 7 seasons that Carson was winless on tour. But Waselenchuk was injured in January at the Los Angeles Open, and missed four tournaments, so he wasn’t able to get enough points to continue his #1 streak, even though he won five tournaments this season.

But Waselenchuk dropped a bomb during his post-match talk, saying “I really don’t know if I’m going to be back next year. I think my time is up.” He’s “about 90% sure I’m going to retire.”

Waselenchuk’s “not too sure I enjoy this like I used to.” He’s going to “take the off season to think about it, but there’s a strong possibility that I won’t be playing Tier 1s” next season.

But even then it might not be the last you’ve seen of Waselenchuk, as he said “I’ll come back and play the US Open and try to play spoiler.”

He closed by saying “the run’s been great, and if this is the last one then, man, it was fun.”

2018 IRT Florida Regional Championships, April 26-29, 2018
Sarasota, Florida   


Final  - Saturday

2) Kane Waselenchuk d. 1) Rocky Carson, 15-5, 15-4

Follow the bouncing ball….

No comments: