Going in to the 2017 Mexican Racquetball Federation National Team Selection Event in Chihuahua, Mexico some may have questioned Javier Mar’s seeding as the #1 player in the Men’s Singles draw when the field included players such as Alvaro Beltran, Polo Gutierrez, Alejandro Landa and Andree Parrilla. But Mar proved worthy of the seeding Sunday as he won the event by defeating Landa in the final, 15-11, 7-15, 11-7.
Landa didn’t leave Chihuahua empty handed though, as he and Gutierrez won the Men’s Doubles title by beating the young team of Rodrigo Montoya and Parrilla, 15-12, 8-15, 11-8.
There were no questions about who the top seed should be on the women’s side, and Paola Longoria once again proved to be the best women’s racquetball player of the moment, as she defeated Samantha Salas in the Women’s Singles final, 15-10, 15-3. Longoria and Salas then teamed up to win the Women’s Doubles final, beating Susana Acosta and Jessica Maldonado, 15-14, 15-5.
These results will be used to select the players that will represent Mexico at next month’s Pan American Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica, April 8-15.
Campeonato Nacional Mexicano de Racqetbol Selectivo
Chihuahua, Mexico - March 8-12, 2017
1) Paola Longoria d. 2) Samantha Salas Solis, 15-10, 15-3
3) Jessica Parrilla d. 4) Susana Acosta, 15-3, 15-7
Women's Open Doubles
1) Paola Longoria & Samantha Salas Solis d. 2) Susana Acosta & Jessica Maldonado, 15-14, 15-5
3) Jessica Parrilla & Montserrat Perez d. 4) Lucia Gonzalez & Monserrat Mejia, 15-12, 15-14
Men's Open Singles
Final - Sunday
1) Javier Mar d. 3) Alejandro Landa, 15-11, 7-15, 11-7
31) Andree Parrilla d. 13) Javier Estrada, 15-2, 15-7
Men's Open Doubles
4) Polo Gutierrez & Alejandro Landa d. 2) Rodrigo Montoya & Andree Parrilla, 15-12, 8-15, 11-8
3) Eduardo Garay & Javier Mar d. 1) Alvaro Beltran & Javier Moreno, forfeit
Follow the bouncing ball….